Saturday, September 4, 2010

He was a big, big man....

In the late 1980's this country was facing a financial crisis not unlike the one we're facing today. No, the job losses were not as severe across all industries, but if you were working in the energy or financial segments you were suffering. Layoffs were significant in both areas, and I had many friends who were affected. We were living in Oklahoma City at the time, and were not immune to the troubles either.

The problem was caused by free and easy credit offered by the Savings & Loans and Banks. Easy money was available to energy companies and commercial real estate developers, who then over-drilled and over developed, while borrowing more and more money on over-valued collateral. When the bubble burst, much like the current housing bubble, the house of cards collapsed. The similarities to today's problems are eerie.

Once again, the point of this story is not the state of our country's financial struggles, those details just set the stage for a story within a story.

I was afforded the opportunity to help open the Tulsa office for the Agency established to oversee the restoration of the nation's financial credibility. To accomplish the task at hand would require a staff of dedicated and capable professionals, and we began to interview and hire people at a furious pace.

Interviews are sometimes interesting, sometimes challenging, sometimes surprising, and sometimes all of the above. I was talking to a very qualified young man one day, trying my best to impress upon him the urgency and importance of the work we were doing. He continued to slouch in his chair, obviously disinterested in the whole process. But, when he looked at me and said "Let's face it, it's the government and if it doesn't get done today it'll still be there tomorrow." I was astounded.....astounded, but not impressed.

A couple of days later I was awaiting another applicant who had peaked my interest. Again, a well qualified person, CPA, MBA, and a great work history in the west Texas oil business. He arrived a few minutes early, and when my secretary showed him in, I was astounded....again.

A shadow darkened the room as he filled up the door to my office. He was a big, big man, and he was black. I don't know what I was expecting, but I can assure you the mental image I had conjured up was not that of a black man. As I got up to greet him he stepped forward to shake hands, offered up a big smile and in a deep bass voice said, "Good morning, I'm Jim." I immediately liked him, and the more we visited about the job, his qualifications, and my expectations, the more I knew he was the one for the job. I hired Jim on the spot and he proved to be a great asset to our organization. He was also one of the smartest people I've ever known, and we became great friends.

However, I learned something about myself that day. For as long as I can remember I've had many friends, Black, White and Hispanic. I've always taken pride in accepting people for who they are, and not how they look. Judging people by their actions. But, that day I had read the words on a resume, read of the many accomplishments, and made an assumption before ever meeting the person. An assumption that Jim would look like me.

It was my lesson learned, and something never to be repeated.....That's my pledge, and in this case I know it to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment