Thursday, December 9, 2010

Simple pleasures...

Let's start with the premise that I see myself as a simple man.  It may or may not be true, but that's how I see it.  I enjoy the things that nature provides, like the playfulness of our two puppies, the mist rising above the pond on a frosty autumn morning, or when my horse nuzzles my jacket pocket looking for the apple wafer she usually finds hiding there.

I like coming inside with the aroma of chili or beef stew to welcome me home.  A fire crackling in the fireplace invites me to simply sit in the easy chair and let the stress of the day melt away. 

These simple pleasures bring joy to my life.

Relationships are also an important part of who I am, personal relationships, business relationships, lifelong friends, new found friends, and family.  Throughout my life it's those relationships that have nurtured and sustained me during the down times, helped me celebrate the good times, encouraged me to be the best I could be, and made me the person I am today....good or bad.

Valuable lessons were imparted not only by my parents, but also by teachers, coaches, bosses, subordinates, children, and of course Miss Elizabeth who has accompanied me on this journey for most of my life.  We met at age twelve, introduced by a mutual friend at the little league ball park, and have been together ever since.  Sometimes, there's just no reason to keep searching for the person who makes you whole, and she does that in every way.

Every now and then something happens that gives you pause and reminds you of just how fragile life is. Maybe it's the loss of a friend or family member, or maybe it's just a close call that gets you to thinking.

What if?

It's always been difficult for me to put into words how deeply I care for the people who are important in my life, so I rarely express those feelings.  Instead, I try every day to show it by my actions, even though I know that's not enough.

As we move toward Christmas and the anticipation of the New Year perhaps I can overcome that personal shortcoming.  No guarantee, but this year I'm going to strive to be a better husband, father, brother, and friend. Wish me luck on the journey......I think I'll need it.

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes! Merry Christmas my friend!

    ReplyDelete