Monday, January 3, 2011

Great idea, Jack....

This year we waited to celebrate our family Christmas until the week after.  As our family has grown with the marriage of the boys we need to be flexible in sharing the special times around the Holidays.  So at times Christmas gets celebrated on New Years Day....not always a bad thing as it gives us an additional week to prepare for the festivities.  And, for those procrastinators among us, it provides an extra week to get the shopping done, and we can even take advantage of those "after Christmas" sales to save some money.

All that being said, I was confident that things would proceed without a hitch....and they did.....to a degree.

I've been told that I'm well past the age of sending letters to Santa, and that putting together a Christmas wish list is something that is frowned upon after about age ten.  What's that all about?  How the heck is Santa going to know what to leave under the tree if I don't give him a few hints?  Those of you who have read this blog since the beginning know that I have a history of holding out for that special Christmas present....regardless of the sacrifice.....what to do, what to do?

Facebook!  Everyone reads the posts and loves to keep up with the trials, tribulations, joys, sorrows, and perhaps the Christmas wants of their Friends.....great idea, Jack.

A few weeks ago I floated a trial balloon to judge the response.  Outstanding response to my "need" for a new pair of boots.  Now that several of my Friends were aware of my request, and even though Santa is not on my Friend list, surely he would get the word.  Just in case, however, I devised a back-up plan.

At my house we share the computers, and Miss Elizabeth and I both do a fair amount of on-line shopping. My back-up plan was executed without a flaw.  I found the boots at a popular western outfitter, available in my size and color, just click here.....simple enough to leave the web browser open to the appropriate page, and wait for "Santa" to discover just how easy it would be to make the purchase with delivery in time for Christmas.

Today is Monday, January 3rd and our family Christmas was a resounding success.  Kids and Grand kids ripped through their presents as we enjoyed the excitement of the moment.  Four generations gathered together at the ranch, and it was a blessing. 

Anticipation ran high as I awaited the delivery of those boots......I knew they were there somewhere....maybe not.....maybe next year.....or not.  After all, 'tis the season of giving, not receiving, and I truly enjoy doing that.

Just in case you're reading this, Santa.....Tony Lama, Lizard skin boots, size 11 1/2 medium width......I've been a real good boy......part of the time....I'm sure it was an oversight, but what do I know.

1 comment:

  1. You must've had a lasting influence on me, Jack. We postponed Christmas too; Quinn was "Escaping NYC" on Christmas day so we just had Santa circle for a day. Also your shameless boot begging was very similar to my shameless "NOOK" begging. It worked. Got my NOOK. Did you check every single box?

    ReplyDelete