Wednesday, June 15, 2011

That's just a bunch of bull....

Well, I've got this young bull currently roaming the pasture, doing his darn best to spread "joy" to my small herd of cows. He thinks he's quite the man, but this is his first job and like most trainees, he still has a few things to learn about the trade. He has all the makings of being a top-notch performer, great pedigree, great physique, and a nice calm demeanor. But, alas, he has a few things left to learn.

It's been about a month since 007 (yes, that's his ear tag number) arrived on the scene.  Since that time he's had it pretty easy....no competition, willing partners, and someone catering to his every need. He's scheduled to be "on the job" for about seventy-five days before he makes his exit, and of course, we're hopeful that he will leave behind cows that will give birth to great calves next spring.

All that being said, I fear that he's recently had his ego severely bruised, if not completely destroyed.  I can only hope that he's able to recover.

Last weekend, I was rotating the cows from the south pasture where I have an abundance of cool weather grasses, to the north pasture which is primarily native grass. It's not much of a chore, just drive the Ranger to the vicinity of the gate, and they all come running. Pavlov's Theory is alive and well....see or hear the red Ranger.... run to see the nice man who drives it.....get rewarded with feed.  It works like a charm and they follow it wherever I want them to go. Part of the chore is to make sure all cows, calves, and 007 make the trek before the gate swings shut.  Where's 007?  Nowhere to be found....not a good sign.

My neighbor has a cows in an adjoining pasture and I figured it to be a pretty good bet that one of those wanton ladies had lead poor 007 astray.  It happens, and when I found the fence compromised by a fallen limb, I was 99% sure where he was.  First, fix the fence then go round him up.

The first thing I noticed as I surveyed the pasture was a really good looking bull standing guard over "his" cows.  As I got closer it was apparent that it was not 007.  This guy was much bigger....a massive hulk of a bull....with an attitude!  When he saw me approaching he immediately positioned himself between me and the cows and dropped his head......I retreated....no sense in seeing who's boss.

A few minutes later I found 007......standing all alone under a scraggly oak tree....if he was a dog his tail would have been tucked between his legs, but bulls apparently don't use that maneuver. We opened the gate, gave him a little encouragement, and he happily retreated to his home turf.

I'm not sure this story has a moral other than, as in the immortal words of Jim Croce, "Leroy learned a lesson 'bout a messin' with the wife of a jealous man"....Definitely a subject to which I can answer, what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment