Friday, May 11, 2012

No one knows it all....

I live on a small ranch/farm and know all too well the difficulties of making sure that everything that needs to get done...gets done! It's a constant battle to ensure that fences are in good repair, cattle are checked daily, pastures are sprayed, and on and on and on....

So what's the big deal, you say. You made the decision to live that lifestyle and the hard work that goes with it. And, of course, you would be correct. It's a lifestyle that's like no other, except for that of an owner of a small business. Now, that's hard work!

Oh, but wait; Owning a small ranch or farm is the same as owning a small business.....they are one in the same.

A few weeks ago I was invited to speak at a gathering that was identified as a Farmers and Businessmen Banquet.  My opening line was something to the effect that "How do you differentiate between the two?"  It was met with a resounding "thumbs-up".

Both vocations, small business ownership and farming, require  a commitment to long days, multiple disciplines, and a willingness to seek help when you need it. In my case, help is something I seek on a regular basis. I know when I'm in over my head, and know enough to find someone who can give me the guidance I need. There's nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it, and believe me it's far better than beating your head against the wall when you don't know the answer yourself.

My day job is that of a business coach, and I'm constantly coaching business owners on the "how-to" of starting and operating a business. How's the best way to market your product? Is it better to lease or purchase a piece of equipment? Is it better to be an LLC or Sole Proprietorship? Then, they ask "How am I supposed to know all of this stuff?"

My answer is, you shouldn't even consider trying to know how to do it all. That's a sure-fired way to run your business into the ground. Concentrate on the things you do best, and get help with the things you either don't know how, or don't like to do. Otherwise, those things will probably get done poorly, or not get done at all.

The moral of the story is; No one is an expert at everything, and there is nothing to apologize for when you need to ask for help......In fact, it's probably the smartest decision you'll make.

No comments:

Post a Comment