Tuesday, March 25, 2014

"We" need to get that garden planted.....

"I think we should put in a garden this year" she said.....

Uh oh, here we go again, and I'm pretty sure that the word "we" will translate into a fair amount of work for "me".  "Yes Dear" I replied with all the enthusiasm I could muster. Of course that was months ago, and I hadn't really given it much thought since.

"We need to get some topsoil brought in so we can get that "raised-bed" garden started." she said....

Again, notice the liberal use of the word "we". So, I dutifully ordered a couple of loads of topsoil that was delivered last week. Then, I went to the lumber yard to buy the 2X12s needed to build the sidewalls for the "raised-bed" garden. Notice that this is turning into a construction project in addition to a gardening project.

"We'll definitely need to put a fence around the garden to keep out the rabbits, raccoons, and deer." she said.....

"I'll use the old dog kennel fencing, and just buy a couple of additional panels so it will be large enough to encircle the "raised-bed" garden." I replied, as I pondered how much those fresh tomatoes, peppers, and assorted other vegetables were going to cost per pound!

To date I've spent $300 for topsoil, $100 for lumber, $100 for fencing, and I've yet to commence construction on the actual gardening project. Meanwhile the cows need feeding, the calves need to be monitored, my clients are demanding my immediate attention, the rural water line needs to be hooked up, and the clock is ticking toward getting a garden planted......

I began to formulate a plan, and said, "Perhaps this weekend we can get everything completed and the ground prepped for the seeds to go in the ground. With the two of us working, I'll bet we can have it done by Sunday evening. What's that Dear?"

"Remember, I'm going to leave for Kansas City on Friday, and won't be home until Tuesday." she said as she began to pack......



No comments:

Post a Comment