Thursday, July 22, 2010

Decisions have consequences

It was the winter of 1961, I was ten years old and driving my folks crazy for a bicycle for Christmas. No, it wasn't just any bicycle, I was fixated on the one I had spotted in the window of the local Western Auto Store. Shiny black, gold trim, skinny tires, and best of all, it had three speeds. What we called way back then, an English Racer! I wanted that bike more than anything I had ever wanted in my short life.

I don't remember the price, but I'm quite sure it was more than had been set aside for Christmas presents in my parents' modest budget. But, I was determined, and never, never underestimate the ability of a stubborn ten year old boy to wear down the opposition. Christmas was rapidly approaching, and my pleadings became desperate. Was I making progress? Were they relenting? It was hard to say, but then one day my mother said, "Why don't we go look at that bike at Western Auto"? I was euphoric on the drive to town, which seemed like an hour, but really took all of five minutes. As we pulled into the parking space in front of the store, I was out of the car in a flash and headed straight for the bicycles.

Little did I know that the tragedy of all tragedies awaited me in that store. "My" treasured English Racer was nowhere to be seen! To this day I'm not sure that my mother didn't already know what lay in store, as the salesman sadly relayed the news that someone had purchased "my" bike, and no, they didn't have another like it in the store. Devastated, I turned without a word, my heart broken and trudged back to the car as my mother continued to speak with the salesman.

As I sat in the front seat, slumped as only little boys can do, Mom approached the car, opened the door and said, "The man said they might be able to order one for us, but it won't be here by Christmas". Success! It was as good as in the garage, and so what that it wouldn't be here for Christmas morning. I'm sure there was further discussion about not having any other presents because of the expense of the bike, but I paid no attention....that beauty was about to be mine!

Christmas morning, laughter and giggles from my sisters as they tore into their presents, while I sat on the couch, stifled a cry, and endured the consequences of my decision. It was February before the squeals of delight were mine when that bicycle was finally delivered. Was it worth the wait, you betcha!

Looking back, I'm really proud of the way my parents handled that situation. They knew that it would be very hard for me on Christmas morning, but they stood their ground and made me suffer the consequences of my actions. I think it's important to remember that every decision we make has a consequence for which only we are responsible, but then, what do I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment