Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Passages and Lessons Learned

My dad died fifteen years ago this year, and my mom passed away in May. They were able to celebrate fifty years of marriage just nine months before dad died. Married at age sixteen, first baby at seventeen, eighth grade educations, they were ill prepared to be all grown up.

Born in Northeast Oklahoma when times were hard and the work was harder, they somehow survived, and while never prosperous, they were able to make their way through life. Working first in the zinc mines, then learning the carpentry trade Dad was able to provide for this young family as babies number two and three arrived. He worked various jobs, in various locations, but he always had that entrepreneurial itch, and like many entrepreneurs he didn't like working for someone else, so he started his own company.

Lately, I've caught myself reflecting on the things he taught me, and some of the things he didn't. But, most of all, I've been thinking about the way he lived his life, operated his business, and how it impacted my beliefs and actions. I find that many of the things that seem to come naturally to me, were actually lessons learned from him.

Dad lived by the credo that a man's word is as good as any contract, but unfortunately that's not always true. Like the time his business partner cleaned out the company bank account and skipped town, leaving our family with no recourse but to face years of financial hardship. I learned to be cautious in all business dealings and I advise my clients to do likewise.

We used to spend hours helping to gather receipts, invoices, sales slips and handwritten notes for the tax season. You see, he was a contractor and his office was his truck. Files were unheard of, and we found most things under the seat, on the dash, in the glove box, behind the seat, and in the tool box. It was an elaborate record keeping system for sure, but not one that I would recommend. It did, however, teach me the value of keeping accurate records, and I advise my clients to do the same.

Dad also did a lot of work for free. Not intentionally mind you, but because he was a procrastinator and would never quite get around to sending out that final statement at the end of a job. This taught me to pay close attention to the cash flow, and to never put off until tomorrow what needs to be done today. My clients hear the same story.

These are lessons learned that I think are important, but then again, what do I know.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! I think you learned a lot from your Dad...he left you a legancy that he didn't even realise that he had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely great start Jack! When you get to the age we are we have learned a few things, some of them stick and become part of our character and some don't. You are lucky that the good things have stuck and the hard times were lessons. I look forward to more from you.

    ReplyDelete