Monday, August 22, 2011

For the most part, life is good....

I guess you could say this past week was a milestone of sorts, that is, if you call attaining the ripe old age of sixty a milestone.  But, that's exactly what happened to me.  Sixty years old, how can that possibly be? Why, it was just a few short years ago that I graduated from high school, and just a few years after that when Miss Elizabeth and I were wed.  Oh yeah, that was the other part of this milestone week....the celebration of forty years of marriage occurred last week as well.

So, I've now been married for two-thirds of my life.....the old 40-60 ratio has arrived. I vividly remember when I would look at those old-timers who had reached this point in their lives and wonder how it was they were still able to carry on full, productive lives.  My, how one's perspective changes over time.  I don't feel old, except for the occasional ache or pain that makes it difficult to get out of bed in the morning, or to rise after sitting for too long in one position. For the most part, however, life is good. 

We have two sons who are grown and have families of their own, which of course makes us grandparents.  Oh yes, life is good when you are a grandparent!  What a delight it is to see that youthful exuberance as the grand kids experience everything that is new to them, and allows us to experience again, the things we sometimes forget to enjoy. Things like sitting on the fence and rubbing the soft nose of the horse, or picking wild flowers for grandma to add to her ever expanding collection. Is there anything better than that?

Last week we were blessed to have everyone here to help us celebrate our anniversary, my birthday, and more.....What else you say?  Well, two of our grand children share an August birthday too.  Not only an August birthday, but the same day.....which just happens to coincide with our anniversary. Definitely reason to have a major celebration wouldn't you agree.

Ah, but that was last week, and now the house has returned to its orderly state. Everything is in its proper place, and quiet days have replaced the chaos of a houseful of kids and visitors. I'll never again have a sixtieth birthday, nor a fortieth anniversary, but I will always treasure the memories.  Nothing in the world is better than being surrounded by family and friends who remind you of all that is good with life, but really, what do I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment