Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lightning flashed and thunder rolled....

Last night I awakened to the flash of lightning. Then, the thunder cracked and rumbled down the valley. It was quite a show for awhile as the lightning lit up the sky so brightly that I could clearly see my two dogs cowering against the door on the back porch, seeking protection from the torrential rain that was pouring from a sky that for too long had been dry. 

This morning there were still clouds covering the sky, and instead of the oppressive heat, a cool breeze christened the day. It won't last; probably not even through the morning, but it was a welcome break as I headed out to do morning chores. Lately, the mornings have been hot, steamy preludes to what later turned to days that were so hot they defied description.  Temperatures have been consistently above 100 degrees, and in most cases exceeding 105.  It topped out a few days ago at 115......dangerous territory for both man and beast.

I've been concerned about having enough water for the cows and calves as the ponds continue to evaporate at an alarming rate.  I watched yesterday, and commented to Miss Elizabeth that the cows standing in the main pond weren't even getting their bellies wet. The water was hitting them just above the knees, and most of that was mud.  Fortunately, we have two additional ponds that are deeper and seem to be holding up pretty well.

The rain overnight wasn't enough to help refill the ponds, but we're very thankful to get it just the same. I drove the 4-wheeler through the pastures this morning and was gladdened by the way the grass had perked up.  It's always amazing to see how fresh things become after a nice rain, and I thank God everyday for the opportunity to witness His miracles. It was less than an inch of rain, but the impact was significant and immediate.

As I mentioned to someone earlier today, the cows were dancing, the calves were frolicking, and even old Lucky Star, the horse with no home, had a bounce in her step. Heck, even this old cowboy took some time to appreciate the morning "chill". 

As I observe the livestock I think the animals are predicting an end to the heatwave, but then, I'm quite sure that everyone looks at me and says, "What do you know"!

No comments:

Post a Comment