Friday, August 3, 2012

Dust in the wind.....

It's been awhile since I've had the inclination to write anything. The summer has been, and continues to be brutal. And, as the drought continues across the country those of us in Kansas are truly suffering.

This morning, however, I awoke to overcast skies and a few drops of rain. Not enough to even settle the dust, but a pleasant break from the stifling heat to which we've become accustomed. Day after day of 100+ temperatures, and not much relief once the sun sets in the evening. Last night it was still 100 degrees at 11:00pm.

The grasses in my pastures are brown and crisp to the touch, and in the areas where the cows have grazed heavily the ground is barren and dust swirls in the hot wind. I'm hesitant to drive across the pasture for fear of starting a fire that would rage out of control with the heat, wind, and lack of humidity. All in all, it's a dire situation for both man and beast.

I have sixteen cows and sixteen calves trying to scrounge for food, water, and shade. Most days I'll find them lined up along the pond dam, standing in water that barely covers their knees, but undoubtedly adds to their comfort. At the start of the summer the cows would have been neck deep, but that pond has all but gone dry. Fortunately, I have two others, but without some significant rainfall they will be in the same sad shape.

The drought has driven up feed prices, and has driven down the price of cattle as more and more producers are having to downsize, or liquidate, their herds. I'll sell calves next month that will bring significantly fewer dollars than they would have earlier this year.....hopefully, I won't have to sell the cows as well.

I'm typically an optimist, but it's becoming more and more difficult to see the silver lining. I'm sure it's still out there, somewhere in the distance.....somewhere....in the distance.....but what the heck do I know anyway!

1 comment:

  1. Its time to think out of the box. We need to explore options to enhance our water options. In AU, the driest continent on earth, homes have gutters, these funnel rainwater into sometimes HUGH covered water containers. Sometimes they are even staged so that as one fills it overflows into another. I'm talking several thousand gallon tanks. It is amazing how much water an inch of rain falling over every inch of your roof accumulates to if captured. Just a thought.......but, what do I know?

    ReplyDelete