Sunday, August 19, 2012

Getting older by the minute....

Yesterday was my 61st birthday......and that's about all I have to say about that!

I met some of my old high school buddies for breakfast, and as always, it was filled with laughter, tall tales, old memories, and some concerns for friends who are dealing with health issues that we all know could beset any of us now that we are at "that age".

One of my very best friends is dealing with some of those problems.....very serious, although he tends to make light of it when we're together. Yesterday, he mentioned that the risk of additional surgery is greater than living with the problem. Sometimes life gives us bitter pills.

What do I do?

How do I act?

We've known each other too long to just ignore it, and I've nagged him for years about giving up some of the vices that have exacerbated these health issues. But, he's the kind of guy who has always lived life to the fullest, and who probably won't change now.

Still rides his Harley.....with no helmet!

Still smokes.....but not as much!

Still enjoys the good food.....can't comment on this one!

You do what you can, say what you may, but in the end it's the decision of each of us to make the necessary changes. Not so much for ourselves, but for those who care about us.

Yesterday was my 61st birthday...... I hope to celebrate the next one with a breakfast with my friends.

All of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment