Tuesday, August 1, 2017

I'm sorry, but that's absurd...

Later this month, I'll attain the ripe old age of sixty-six. I've seen a lot of changes through the years, some good, some not so good, but for the most part it's been a great ride.

I graduated from high school in 1969, and turned eighteen on the Sunday morning when Jimi Hendrix woke up the folks at Woodstock with his stirring rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.....wish I'd been there to see it in person, but alas, I was hard at work in Kansas.

The sixties were a time of civil unrest, anti-war protests, sit-ins, love-ins, Hippies, and racial strife. It also brought about the advent of that old axiom, "Make Love not War", now what normal, warm-blooded all-American young man could find fault with that!

Yes, I've seen a lot of changes through the years, some good, some not so good.

When I was born in 1951, the doctor spanked my butt for the first time, made a quick assessment of the vital parts, and announced to my parents, "It's a boy!". No ifs and or buts about it; of course my parents took a look and confirmed the doctor's diagnosis.....Yep, it's a boy.

There were more spankings to follow, as my dad was a firm believer in "Spare the rod, spoil the child". Was it wrong? Today, society finds it unacceptable to mete out such punishment, but it taught me that there were boundaries that were not to be crossed, limitations as to what was acceptable behavior, and respect for authority. It's hard for me to find fault with those outcomes.

Yes, I've seen a lot of changes through the years, some good, some not so good.

For my entire life I've known who I am, what I am, and never once considered it to be the least bit odd that my God put me here on earth to be exactly what he intended. On the other hand, I've known a few, very few, people who seemed to be at odds with their gender. It was never a big deal, and everyone has experienced those encounters from time to time. We all understand that sometimes those genetic anomalies occur, and we've dealt with it.

Recently, I read of a case where the parents of a new baby "X" were not going to make a gender decision until "X" was old enough to make that decision for itself.....I'm sorry, but that's absurd.

It's not that I don't have empathy for those few who have to deal with the gender identity issue, I do. But really, is it that prevalent, or is it mostly hype? It seems to me that it gets a disproportionate amount of attention these days, most of it being generated by politicians and those who don't have to deal with it on a personal level, but who love to be a part of the hysteria.

Yes, I've seen a lot of changes through the years, some good, some not so good.

So now, as I get ready to "celebrate" another year on this earth, I have to wonder just how long God is going to allow His children to challenge His creation. But, as always, what do I know.

1 comment:

  1. As they used to say back when we were teens, "Right on!" All this hype about gender assignment is just that: hype. They say only 4/10ths of 1 percent claim to be transgender. So we should reassign bathrooms, locker rooms, dressing rooms? Some states are adding a third option to the M/F selection on driver's license applications! Why? Because they might offend some confused soul?

    And now we have "gender fluid"???? Say what? Parents wanting to let their child DECIDE what gender? I am pretty certain the Bible says "... And God created man .... and woman." Seems He left no room for "fluidity".

    ReplyDelete