Friday, October 29, 2010

There are simply no words.....

I penned the following piece three years ago after learning of a friend's tragedy.  Each autumn, as I watch young people going about their lives, I often think of just how abruptly things can change, and offer a small prayer on behalf of all the Nathans in the world.


We were new to town and didn't really know anyone. A job transfer had taken us from Oklahoma to Kansas City, and we had settled in a small community a few miles south of the metropolis. It was quite an adjustment for all of us, kids trying to find their place in new schools, me trying to move the career forward, and my wife trying to cope with it all.

As with many families, especially ones with two athletic boys, we began to make new friends with those of similar interests......sports. The boys were involved with baseball, football, and basketball, so we had a lot of opportunities to interact with members of our new community. Soon I was involved with the local Athletic Association, and later served on the City Recreation Commission. We enjoyed the community and made many friends.

One of the people I came to know well, and admire for his genteel manner was a neighbor named Ron. He readily accepted us and introduced us into his circle of friends, his church, and made sure we were invited to participate in civic events. He was a gentleman in all respects, and he and his wife Connie became good friends.

I remember sitting behind them in church and chuckling as he tried to control young Nathan, a toddler with way to much energy to sit still for the required church service. We used to laugh together as I gave both of them a hard time. It was just a few years earlier that we had dealt with the same dilemma with our two youngsters, but they were older now, and that time had passed us by. I rather enjoyed the boy's antics, and was perhaps just a wee bit guilty of providing encouragement from time to time.

We moved from Spring Hill several years ago, and Nathan grew into a teenager overnight. I would stop in and visit with Ron on an occasional trip to Kansas City and we maintained a long-distance friendship. We would both ask about the families, and exchanged condolences as we both had parents pass away.

This morning I heard the word about Nathan. It was stunning news, and I still can't quite get my arms around it.

Nathan died last night.....playing in a high school football game.


"Ron, I don't have the wisdom, nor the words, to help you cope with this tragedy. I'm at a loss myself as to how to deal with it. The best I can do is tell you that you and your family are in our hearts and in our prayers. You're a family of extreme faith, and that faith will be your solace as your heart has time to heal. Take care my dear friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment