Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"You ever been to Mardi Gras"

There's a not so old movie entitled "Road trip" which I've seen advertised from time to time. We don't get out to see many movies, and I can add this one to that long list of unseen cinematic marvels. From the trailer it's not something I would find particularly enticing, and Miss Elizabeth would most certainly disapprove of the content. Ah, but there was a time when the mere mention of a road trip had us ready to, as Steppenwolf would sing, "head out on the highway".

Oh yes, "lookin' for adventure" wherever we might find it. I had a very good friend when I was young. Good looking guy, great smile, and just a little bit on the wild side.

Everyone like me needs a friend like him to help "expand one's horizons". You see, I was always the level-headed one. The one who rarely got into trouble, made good grades, and the one who had convinced the parents of all my friends that I was someone to be trusted.....most of the time.

Payday at the grocery store was Thursday, and the usual ritual was to convert the check to cash, fill the car up with some 35 cent gasoline, and head over to the La Tienda for some enchiladas and beer. Back then, eighteen was the legal age, but seventeen was close enough. A few hours passed, and in pops my very good friend with another of his brilliant ideas..."Hey man, you ever been to Mardi Gras"? Now, we're all small town Kansas boys, and the answer was obvious, but we played along, "No, why"? "cause I think it would be a blast, and what else have we got planned for the weekend"? Good enough for me, and for the three others sitting at the table.

"After Midnight" was blasting on the radio as we hit the road for New Orleans at about that same time. "Does anyone know the way" someone thinks to ask. Stop at a service station, pick up a map, and plat the route...."looks like we can drive to Memphis and turn right"...good enough.

My car was a 1963 Impala SS with a 409 cubic inch engine and a 4 speed transmission....if it had wings it would fly! I'm not sure it didn't fly on occasion that night as we made our way to Memphis, where reality began to soak in. Phone calls to home, no answer at my house, nor anyone elses except for my very good friend's dad...."You're where? Headed where? With who? Let me talk to Jack"! "Yes sir, we're in Memphis, and yes sir we're headed to New Orleans." Then he says, "You got enough money? You need anything? and, Jack, you take care of those boys, you hear!"

Damn, so now I'm going to be held responsible for this lame-brained idea. Well, to make a long story short we drove on down to New Orleans to see the Mardi Gras, which just so happened to be occurring the following week!! Details, details. So, we made a pass down Bourbon Street, checked into the Howard Johnson Motel for some much needed sleep, got up the next morning and drove home.

You might say it was a big waste of time, but then again, you might not. It's become a legendary tale for the five of us, and the stories of the drive can still give me chills. Would I want my kids to do the same thing.....no way, but for all I know they maybe did.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I think we all had at least one of those types of adventures. Seems like a good idea at the time, you get there and ....what do we do now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've never been to New Orleans or Mardi Gra but probably have a couple stories along these lines. But if I remember right, wasn't grandma Geri patiently waiting for you when you got back ready to wring some necks?

    ReplyDelete