Thursday, October 14, 2010

A horse with no home....

"You know guys, I've just got too many horses. I don't know what I'm going to do, this market being what it is and all, but I know I don't want to keep all of 'em through the winter."

A good friend of mine was lamenting his bad fortune to the group of us who had gathered for our monthly breakfast. We all attended the same high school years ago, and have maintained a relationship that has survived the ups and downs of life. It's not always the same group, but regardless of who's there the conversation is always lively, the laughs many, and the sentiment heartfelt. I rarely miss the opportunity to enjoy their company.

We all sat around the table, sipping our coffee, and agreed that it was indeed a predicament for him. The ones with good sense left it at that, others offering a suggestion or two that might provide him with some relief, while others poked a little fun at him for not having the foresight to avoid the problem in the first place. It seemed to me, however, that surely "we" could find a way to help him out. "Jack, you've got that ranch out there, don't you need a horse?" "No, that's the last thing I need, another animal to take care of." Of course by then the ball was rolling, and to everyone it seemed that the solution was obvious. A horse needed a home and Jack needed a horse!

"Well, it's something I'll have to think about, and of course Miss Elizabeth will have a say in this decision." Breakfast adjourned, we all went home, and I put the whole idea on the shelf, thinking it would go away.....It didn't. One thing led to another and we eventually drove out to see the horse. Now, I know nothing about horses, but this pretty little mare that needed to find a home captured our hearts. The next day she arrived at her new home, and within twenty four hours Lucky Star was "family".

Every morning I take a long walk with our young Lab. She is only 3 months old and is full of mischief and energy. To see her bounding through the tall grass, chasing butterflies and grasshoppers makes me laugh out loud some mornings. Our walk meanders through the woods, down to the pond where she usually takes a dip, and back across the pasture to the house. It lets her run off some of that youthful energy, and it helps me to get my blood circulating and the creaky joints working.

I hadn't really given this daily routine much thought before the acquisition of Lucky, so the first morning after we brought her home I got up early and headed outside. Maddie, the wonder dog was more than ready for a run, and Lucky was standing calmly in the corral despite the ruckus we were making. As I swung the gate open and started for the woods, I noticed she had her head high, ears pricked forward, watching our every move. Oh well, I would take care of her feeding regimen when I returned.

Maddie and I hadn't gone fifty yards when I heard a snort behind us. There she was, falling right in line like it was something she did everyday. I'm sure we created quite a sight to behold, me in the lead, Maddie running here and there, and Lucky tagging happily along in the rear. I would have liked to have had a picture of the spectacle, but perhaps it's better that everyone just conjures up their own image of a great autumn morning walk with a man, his dog, and his horse.

After hearing this story, a friend of mine suggested to me that horses are made for riding. He's right of course, but I rather enjoyed the walk. Proving once again, what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment